“I understand that I was arrested because of my articles, statements, ideas, and thoughts, that is, I’m going to be tried for “malice” according to Orwell. This is what best characterizes the current regime in Belarus.”
Belarusian PEN member and renowned philosopher, Uladzimir Mackievič has been held in pre-trial detention in Minsk since 4 August 2021. He has been charged with organising and preparing actions that grossly violate public order, under Article 342 (1) of the Criminal Code of Belarus. He faces up to three years in prison if convicted. A date for his trial hearing has yet to be set.
PEN International believes that Uladzimir Mackievič is being targeted for his views and writings critical of the Belarusian authorities. PEN calls for his immediate and unconditional release and for all charges against him to be dropped.
TAKE ACTION: Please send appeals to the Belarusian authorities, calling on them to:
- Release Uladzimir Mackievič immediately and unconditionally, and to drop all charges against him;
- Pending his release, ensure that he is provided with regular communication with his family, lawyers and adequate health care;
- Abide by their international human rights obligations and uphold the rights to freedom of expression, association, and peaceful assembly.
Send appeals to:
Role: Prosecutor General of the Republic of Belarus
Address: Vul. Internatsianalnaya 22, 220030 Minsk, Belarus
Email: [email protected]
Role: Minister of Foreign Affairs
Address: Vul. Lienina, 19, Minsk 220030, Belarus
Email: [email protected]
Send copies to the Embassy of Belarus in your own country. Embassy addresses may be found here.
Please reach out to your Ministry of Foreign Affairs and diplomatic representatives in Belarus, calling on them to raise Uladzimir Mackievič’s case in bilateral fora.
***Please send appeals immediately. Check with PEN International if sending appeals after 2 February 2022. ***
Please send messages of solidarity to:
Pre-trial detention center No. 1. 220030,
Minsk, vulica Valadarskaha 2
The prison administration is more likely to accept messages if written in Russian. Please find a model letter below:
Dear Uladzimir, we stand with you and celebrate your work and courage. We will keep advocating for your freedom.
Дорогой Владимир, мы c вами! Мы невероятно ценим ваш труд и мужество! Мы будем и дальше бороться за вашу свободу!
PEN members are encouraged to:
- Publish articles and opinion pieces in your national or local press highlighting the case of Uladzimir Mackievič and the state of freedom of expression in Belarus;
- Share information about Uladzimir Mackievič and your campaigning activities via social media.
Please keep us informed of your actions in support of Uladzimir Mackievič.